Monday, January 20, 2014

Six Weeks Non-Weight Bearing

I had my surgery on December 4 with the understanding that I would be totally non-weight bearing for six weeks - which meant I would be non-weight bearing through the holidays.  Let me tell you - six weeks is a LONG time to have to maneuver around on crutches or in a wheelchair!

I've been through post-op bandages, a week with a splint (and bandages), and two different casts (one green - over Christmas - and one blue - for the first 2 weeks of January).

I had to go with the wheelchair (instead of a knee scooter) because I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee in June (for a degeneratively torn meniscus) and so I couldn't put that kind of pressure on the knee (that knee also has some moderate arthritis). 

Stairs have been a big challenge.  I can't do them on my crutches (not recommended by my surgeon).  So, to get in or out of the house I have to get down on my hands and knees and crawl over to the door to the garage and then go down the steps (3) into the garage on my behind.  To come back up the stairs, I scoot up on my behind and once I'm in the kitchen, I crawl over to the family room sofa and pull myself up into a sitting position on the sofa.  Once seated, I can use my crutches to get myself upright and over to my wheelchair.

Needless to say, I haven't done much outside of the house in six weeks except necessary doctor appointments, the occasional Sunday morning church service, and two trips to my office (courtesy of my husband, the chauffeur).  I also braved the out of doors to go visit with a group of lady friends for my once-a-month card crafting get together.

Just trying to get ready to get out of the house is exhausting!

I've also had a grand total of 3 showers in six weeks (yech).  Everything else has been sponge baths and washing my hair in the kitchen sink because the bathroom with the shower is upstairs!

Even just trying to put a meal together for myself (when my husband is at work) takes a lot of effort.  If you stand up with crutches to get to the cupboards, then you have the issue of how to carry things to the table (hard to do while crutching).  If you use the wheelchair to get to the cupboards and the refrigerator, the wheelchair interferes with how close you can get and what doors you can open!  I've developed my own techniques over the past six weeks.  But again, everything takes longer and more energy.

I originally planned to be off work for 1 1/2 weeks, but the reality was I was off for just over 2 weeks and then I had vacation time to the end of the year (that was planned) for almost another two weeks.  All told, I was off work for nearly 4 weeks!  My first day back at work was actually January 2 (working from home).  I've been at work since January 2 (except for doctor visits) but most of that has been telework.  I've only made it physically back to my office 2 days (one day each in the last 2 weeks).  Since I can't drive, my husband has to take me to the office and pick me up at the end of the day.  Since the drive to work takes about 40-45 min. that's a lot of commuting my husband has to do on my behalf. 

1 comment:

  1. I was happy to find your blog as it seems to be one of the most similar to the surgery I will be having. I tore both the longus and brevis as well and am scheduled for surgery next month. I would be interested to hear the rest of your recovery story and if it has been worth it. So far I have found a lot of information that seems like full recovery is a long and tedious process. It is making me so nervous. I would love to find out more about your experience.

    ReplyDelete